26 October 2008

Candlelight Vigil Take 3

I managed to return from Singapore again, just in time for the vigil at Padang Timur, opposite Amcorp Mall. As usual, my ever-willing and obedient son picked me up from Bangsar and we went straight there. We were earlier today than the other two previous times. Hence, we had the opportunity to watch the crowd slowly growing. Malaysians are usually noted for their lateness but somehow for this vigil, everyone seems to arrive promptly. There were, certainly, many new faces tonight. I met a few of them. Everyone smiles at one another. People shake hands, nod heads and lift their candles without any reservation. Introductions are easy and no one is really a stranger. The feeling of belonging is strong.

I even had the opportunity to finally meet "The Whisperer" and "masterwordsmith". Both of them turned out to be as warm as they sounded in cyberspace. It was a very nice moment for me.
Here are some pictures taken tonight.


One of the supporters came prepared with his umbrella, which doubled up as his candleholder. What a genius!







Fr. O. C. Lim spoke as always, with clarity about the abolishment of the I.S.A. I believe that he was instrumental in the crowd being much bigger tonight. Many of the folks I met mentioned that they had made the decision to turn up because of his appeal and his announcement of the vigil. Good on ya, Fr. O.C.!
Overall, it was a lovely and peaceful gathering with very many people. Maybe, it's because tomorrow is a holiday, or maybe not. Returning home, I felt glad to know that other Malaysians are coming out and speaking up. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd have to rate tonight 11.
HAPPY BLESSED DEEPAVALI EVERYONE!

16 comments:

TheWhisperer said...

Indeed a memorable night! To be able to finally meet up with blogger friends after being confined to comment section for such a long period of time.

You were wonderful yourself there. And you looked beautifully gorgeous on top of your coolness.

As for the vigil, you have them covered perfectly. This spirit continues to flourish.Many new faces today with some oldies sneaking out from their Deepavali eve party just to show their support. Not forgetting those who made their way here from Singapore, Johor and Penang.

My salute to them for making such a touching effort.

SFGEMS said...

thewhisperer: Continuing your special brand of gentlemanly behaviour here too. Thanks for being so kind. It was, indeed, a great night.

Hope the field will be overflowing in Sundays to come!

That would certainly be a loud and glaring statement to the Government about the people's position on the I.S.A.

Jarod said...

HI! Missed out on the vigil. Was away. I will try to make it the comin sunday. Nice one! But cant meet bloggers...unless if they come again next week? hehe! tc

SFGEMS said...

Jarod: I am sure many bloggers will be there. If you make it next Sunday, do say HI!

If all goes well, my better half will be there and it will the first time that we make it there as a whole family.

:)

Anonymous said...

hi dear

so lovely to meet you in person...thanks so much for the gift and i must say ur boy takes after you. i should be there again in 4 weeks...

hugs and lots of love

SFGEMS said...

masterwordsmith: Till we meet again!

Take care, God bless and stay in touch.

:)

Crankster said...

Hi Lita, you actually met me too, though you probably didn't know it. I was hanging out with masterwordsmith.

SFGEMS said...

Crankster: Oh yes, now I get it. Okay, silly me!

It was an honour to have met you too!

See you at the next vigil, if you are there!

Cheers!

Crankster said...

Good to meet you, too. See you again. :)

SFGEMS said...

Crankster: Thanks for visiting. Come by again okay.

:)

rpremkumar2u said...

I am fortunate to feel peace .

SAMYAAVEE said...

"Storm in a teacup. I think what a man and a woman do with each other in the private is his own business. Why should double standards be applied to anybody - even a politician? If the majority of Malaysian men are having a good time with their women partner, then it's really not for us to care. Even politicians are human beings". The MIC had better come up with a good explaination instead, regarding the nude photo fiasco surrounding its Youth Member Dr. Punithan Shan. For more details go to http://darkjustice-lazarus.blogspot.com

zorro said...

Lita....we meet again but always fleeting. Promise next vigil, we talk longer. Hoping to meet the significant other too. Stay safe.

Shanghai Fish said...

estrelita dear,
I read somewhere here in your blog you know Fredo ? My great buddy Fredo Gayondato ? Tony's late brother ? Jeez....these are my drinking chums...at least now I drink with Tony but Freedo, somehow is always felt in spirit and in our midst even now ! Mist make oit a point to catch up with you this Sunday at the padang...will you be there ?
Cheers !

SFGEMS said...

Zorro: Ques: Why did your comment disappear after I published it? Ans: It was in this post and I looked for it in the latest post. Silly me!

Anyway, as I said, I am sure, no, I am certain that an opportunity will present itself for us to have a longer chat.

Cheers, Sir! :)

SFGEMS said...

shanghaistephen: Yes, you are right dear. Fredo was a very dear part of my life. It saddened me deeply that I had let so many years go by without seeing him. I always remembered his birthday (19 Oct) and he would always call to ask who had sent the sms since he could not remember or did not keep my HP number. He had invited me to the Press Club countless times and I always put it off.

Yes, let's say hello to reminisce about him. I have very many wonderful memories to share. He was a sweet guy.

:)