04 December 2008

A Glimpse of Peru

This evening I had a wonderful surprise when I fought against my initial desire to forego attending the screening of a Peruvian film entitled “Una Sombra al Frente” translated as Crossing a Shadow. I really did not expect that it would be interesting and actually harboured a devilish notion that I would slip out after about 15 minutes, under cloak of darkness.

I couldn’t.

The movie, in its simplicity, caught me in its arms and carried me through to the end.

Here is a little background: Enrique Aet is a young civil engineer dedicated to the building of roads and systems that will allow communication with the distant Peruvian Amazon region, at the beginning of the twentieth century. These were years when the idea of progress was predominant and the Peruvian society was engaged in the task of integrating a difficult territory. Crossing a shadow has the purpose of depicting a period of Peruvian history, not only in its physical and architectural settings, but also in the vital and personal options of those living in the initial years of the 20th century.

Now you see why I was, initially, unenthusiastic about the movie. Nothing in its description appealed to me.

Unexpectedly, this young man and all the people that he encountered, as he journeyed through life and love, aroused my interest.

You have to see it to know what I mean. I am sure you will identify with all the characters there because either you share those personality traits or you know someone like that.

I am just sorry that I did not highlight this earlier but the good news is that it will be screened once more. Details are as follows:

Location:

  • National Art Gallery, 2 Jalan Temerloh, Off Jalan Tun Razak, 53200 Kuala Lumpur

Screening Time:

  • Friday, 5 December 2008 at 5.00 pm

Admission is free.

All are welcome.

I know it is a working day but if you happen to be in Kuala Lumpur, do take the opportunity to catch a glimpse of Peru. When you do, you just might want to know Peru as it is today. For this reason, you should know that Malaysians could enter Peru, visa-free for up to thirty days.

~with English Subtitles~


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lita, even if I am not convinced by your review (of course I am!), I would go for it, just to oogle at the great looking cast!

TheWhisperer said...

I am sorry for not being able to join you yesterday.

But after your review, I might drop by before they take it off the screen.

Thank you for your review:p

de minimis said...

Estrelita

I have actually been to Peru. Wonderful place, wonderful people, shitty politics. 2 out of 3 ain't bad at all.

The pity of it was that I didn;t have time to visit Cusco, the Nazcar Plains and Macchu Pichu. Maybe next time.

Starmandala said...

Wow! I'll probably have to force myself to go to KL tomorrow anyway, since I've been putting it off for weeks now. Thanks for the hot tip on this movie, Lita. The Peruvian mythos holds a mysterious appeal for me. Will certainly attempt to get to KL in time for this rare screening! :-)

SFGEMS said...

Sadly, I won't be around to join any of you for the movie. I'll probably be at Machap at the time of the screening, on my way to Singapore! snif snif Anyway, you all have a good time!

Peng: I am glad you will take advantage of this opportunity. Yeah, the lead actor is quite a good-looking fella!

TheWhisperer: There are parts of it in which you will surely be able to relate to. We can compare notes after you see it ok.

DeMinimis: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh I am glad that you've been to Peru. It's one of the "must see" place for me. I plan to go soon. But with so much to cover, careful planning is necessary so as not to miss anything.

Was it business or pleasure that brought you there? ;)

Antares: I'm happy and I'm sad. You might catch the movie but I'll be in Singapore. Oh well, you win some, you lose some. Hope you meet others there and have a jolly good time!

Now that you've sort of said you will be there, I hope that your stalkers will also go! :)

Pat said...

Sounds like something I would enjoy. I gather Peru speaks Spanish? And do you, Lita?

And I'm so jealous of CT's being there. I want to visit Machu Picchu, too :(

Pat

SFGEMS said...

Patricia: I think you would enjoy it. Yes, in Peru and most of Latin America, spanish is spoken and si, hablo espaƱol ;)

Unknown said...

Apart from Machu Pichu and the tragic Spanish-Aztec (?)historical collision affects, my chief interest in Peru is the fact the Amazon River begins here. So any dream of "doing" the Amazon in a paddle kayak will have to start from here. I've dreamed and planned and researched the route for more than two decades now but my life situation is such that it remains a dream. If only I can take three months off from my responsibilities and ties here, I might still do it, say when I'm 65?! Haha, better to dream and lose than not to not dream at all, methinks.

SFGEMS said...

Zaharan Razak: How nice of you to drop by.

Oh yes, if you are into kayaking, then the Amazon should be a dream place to do it. If I can be of any help in any way to help you materialise this dream, don't hesitate to ask.

Peru, for me, conjures up images of Macchu Picchu. I think it is one of the heavenly places to visit. I hope to do that soon.

Stay in touch okay. :)