19 December 2008

My Prayers (Pre- and Post-I.S.A.)

3o years ago, I was 19! That was a lifetime ago. I was young, carefree, naive and never even knew about the I.S.A.

This was my prayer, written on 23 November 1978



My Prayer

I sit here Lord, inspired by You
and hope that you watch all I do

I look back and I wonder why
so many times I told a lie
so many times I let You down
so many times I made You frown

I also wonder how, dear Lord

You made me see you were not bored
You loved me tho' I was quite slow
You even showed me where to go

I ask, dear Lord, not just for me
I ask, dear Lord, for all to see
that we must love our fellow men
not sometimes or just now and then
but always, Lord, and this I ask
For it is not an easy task
For everyone to understand
Your Will, Your Way, Your guiding Hand

I sit here Lord, and softly pray
that somehow things may change today

Fast-forward to 2008, I'm now, what some people may consider, a die-hard supporter of the anti-I.S.A. sentiment. For this reason, I sat to write a prayer again on 11 December 2008 . Here it is:

Another Prayer

It's 2008, and thirty years have passed
The time just seemed to have gone by fast
Not needing to use an old typewriter
It's so easy now with a new computer

Yet the words come slow and the ideas are few
Rusty with rhyming and writing poem feels new
What do I pray about in this day and age?
Bigger car, nicer clothes and higher wage?

I guess there's just too much to expect
from a world that has so little respect
for truth, justice, love, harmony,
much needed peace and liberty

But more than all of the above
I pray for what we all deserve
The right to wake and work each day
without the threat of the I.S.A.

If you like my prayer, if you share what I feel and if you want things to change then join us in our quest to stand up for our rights to a life without the I.S.A. hanging over our heads!!!

Details here (courtesy of Pat Lu)

12 comments:

TheWhisperer said...

Amen..

What more can I say here? Your prayers 30 years ago have been answered by His Guiding Hand to lead you where you are today.

Continue to have Faith and your prayers now shall be answered soon in the future as He has brought you thus far and He shall see to that.

See you Sunday.

Cheers and have a nice weekend ahead.

SFGEMS said...

TheWhisperer: Thanks for the support. I can always count on you to encourage me.

See you on Sunday, then! :)

Anonymous said...

I always believe God keeps them held in his arms . They are closely watched and cared. Justice will never be in vain. Great words Estra!
God bless you !

Anonymous said...

Lita, timely prayer indeed for tonites vigil, lest we roam without Him and realised we are satisying our will rather than His. Thanks and Cheers,
rakyat@work

SFGEMS said...

Chrisy: I haven't seen you before so welcome to my blog. Thanks for your kind comments and come again.

Yes, God watches over them. God bless you too! ;)

SFGEMS said...

rakyat@work: In view of all the news about praying, I'm glad I was able to do that post about prayers. See you tonight! :)

Pat said...

Lita,

I'll echo what The Whisperer says, cos it says it all: Amen.

Pat

Anonymous said...

Dearest Lita

LOVELY PRAYERS! If I had known earlier, I would have asked you to share them at yesterday's vigil!

You write poems too... Now you got me VERY curious... what else you do? :D

SFGEMS said...

Pat Goh: Thanks for the support! ;)

Pat Lu: I could say the same about you!!!!! You are a Pat of all trades! And you play snooker too! :)

Anonymous said...

"There is some magic in this moment of transition from the old to the new---we stand on the verge of this passing age, trying,labouring to usher in the new."


---J.Nehru

Anonymous said...

Dear Lita,

I have met you once at the vigil in PJ, but you won't remember me unless you go through your archives. I am the one sitting in front of bars. I would like to wish you and your family a very merry Christmas and a happy new year. And I would like to add that you are one of the sweetest bloggers around!!!

If possible, please say a little prayer for Paula Khoo.


A fan,


chang kang

SFGEMS said...

Chang Kang: Yes, I remember you. I don't have to go through the archives for that.

Nice to know that in your eyes, I am one of the sweetest bloggers around!!!

:)