12 December 2008

On a scale of 1 to 10


Yes, on a scale of 1 to 10, we've reached 10. What does this mean? To me, it means that we've survived the test of time, endurance and tolerance. We've kept going despite all odds and adverse publicity. We've braved the forces of nature. We've become more aware of issues that once did not matter to us? We've, inevitably, evolved into more caring Malaysians.

Haris asked at the 3rd or 4th vigil if anyone was scared about being there. I wanted to raise my hand. I didn't. I was also scared to do that. But looking back, I shouldn't have been scared. Just making the effort to be physically there already says I'm no longer in bondage. I'm going to uphold my right to be in a public place when I want to do so.

If you are wondering whether I'm still scared or not? Yes, I am. I am scared not to go. I’m more fearful about an escalation of arrests under the I.S.A. More worried that I didn't do anything to fight it.

I can see I am not alone. All those who faithfully go there to show support, to speak out, to stand proud together show that they are also worried, fearful and scared about not doing anything.

For those that can't, it's okay. But those that can, please don't stay away!

Bring a friend, bring your smile, bring your doubts, and bring your being! We need you there!

2 comments:

TheWhisperer said...

Aw.. Touching piece again. But very true, indeed. Many of us have that Fear when we first walked the walk but, this fear subsided as we went along.

And only last night, I heard one lady saying that we are getting nowhere. She totally missed the point here. The point here is this vigil has to go on at all costs. Number does not matter here. What matter is that we have this platform for people to come out and stand up for their rights.

And she doesn't even make that small effort to join us to come out with such a comment. Ironic?

I really have to take my hats off to you for your role and passion in supporting our cause.

Thank you again, Yin.

SFGEMS said...

The Whisperer: To my ever-faithful Yang, thanks! I think you got my point exactly. After all you are the Yang, right!

I agree with you. The point is to have a platform and the right to speak up about whatever ails our dignity anytime and anywhere.

What's it to anybody if they don't want to come? Why the flak against those that do? ;) Yin

;)